Novedades del sitio

How to fail as a consultant - Cómo fallar como consultor

Imagen de System Administrator
How to fail as a consultant - Cómo fallar como consultor
de System Administrator - jueves, 2 de marzo de 2017, 20:19
Grupo Colaboradores y Partners

How to fail as a consultant - Cómo fallar como consultor

by Matt Heusser

The Deming Institute has a class on “How To Create Unethical, Ineffective Organizations That Go Out Of Business (Many Organizations Do It, But Do You Know How You Do It?)

Similarly, being a consultant is about more than just getting hired and giving advice. It is about getting people to act on your advice — or, at least, to listen and internalize what you have to say. Developing Influence without power is something that everyone I know could use more of – from tech workers, to soccer moms, teenagers, and yes, the CEO of a small company trying to sell to a bigger one. For that matter, while the CEO might be able to force overtime out of the staff, they’ll likely need influence to get productivity, which is the real goal, isn’t it?

Jerry Weinberg’s Book, Secrets of Consulting, even has “A Guide To Giving And Getting Advice Successfully” as the subtitle.

I am not Jerry Weinberg, but I do know a thing or two about failing! In that modest but tongue-in-cheek spirit I would like to present How To Fail As a Consultant.

Lack insight - Falta de visión

A while ago I presented consulting findings to a senior management team. The leadership agreed that these were problems, but they were known problems. “On the one hand, it’s good to know that we aren’t incompetent as leaders, we’re just surprised you didn’t find anything we didn’t know.”

Ouch.

Except, of course, the team hadn’t actually solved the problems. Our insight was in the solutions, which added some value.

Without insight, consultants are a very expensive parrot.

Some consultants can be brought in to “rubber stamp” a pre-defined decision, but that’s a different situation, and a different problem. Speaking of which, you might …

Miss the hidden agenda - Olvidar la agenda oculta

It’s easy to think, as a consultant (or anyone) that you are the pure arbiter of truth. As my friend, Jesse Alford said to me the other day “Matt, separating truth from error, then arguing for your position based on merit — that is your thing!”

Most of the time, though, decisions are not made in meetings. Instead, the meeting is designed to rubber-stamp the pre-approved decision. Walk into the meeting with data suggesting something different, and you’ll likely have made an enemy with the most powerful person in the room, undoing all their hard work.

To be fair, you were right – at least about the ostensible problem, the obvious problem. The politician, however, is playing a different game, solving a different problem.

The West Wing 4x17 - Abbey Bartlet & Josh Lyman "You and the President are a perfect couple."

That doesn’t mean you have to become a scheming game-player. It does mean, however, that you need to figure out what is really going on, what the organization truly values. Check in with people early and often, looking for signals that what seems right is not … for some reason.

Or don’t. After all, this article is about how to fail. Not bothering to find the real agenda is a whole lot easier, and will lead to more faildom.

And then there’s the obvious, the second-worst consulting sin.

Be wrong - Estar equivocado

If you tell an organization it’s problems, and they say “well, no, not really. That was a problem for one person (the only one you interviewed) about six months ago, but since he rolled off the project, we haven’t seen that problem again.”

If you want to lose influence and make sure your ideas aren’t used, being wrong is a good way to go.

Finally, there’s one more way to fail even more spectacularly than being wrong.

Be boring - Ser aburrido

If you’re wrong, at least they listen to you politely until you reach the conclusion. With boring, they don’t even hear you.

A good consultant will have fun and be a little silly — without being over the top. Worst case, they can tell the parrot joke if they have to, but it’s better to have a handful of jokes available, by topic, at a moment’s disposal. Better yet, understand 

to find the fun in the moment.

Remember: Wrong is bad, but boring is worse.

So be boring.

It’s the best way to fail.

Link: http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarget.com